Depending on the type of roof you have, you can expect it to last anywhere from 20 to 50 years.
This means the need to replace your roof is rare, although it will eventually happen. It also means most homeowners have no idea what to expect when it comes to having their roof replaced. The following is a brief overview of the roof replacement process of what you should expect and what you need to do.
The Roof Replacement Process
The following are the steps a roofer will take when it comes to replacing a roof in Hampton Falls, NH.
- Inspection – The first thing a contractor will typically do is to perform a thorough inspection of your roof to determine if your best option is to have your roof replaced. They will evaluate the condition of the shingles as well as the underlayment. If the underlayment is in good condition, then you may only need to replace the shingles. In some cases, you can even lay new shingles on top of the old roof.
- Estimate – After the inspection, the contractor will discuss options with you. They will provide an estimate based on the type of roof being installed, whether the existing shingles and/or underlayment need to be removed, the size and slope of your roof, the presence of roof features (such as chimneys, skylights, and vents), and more.
- Contract – You’ll want to make sure you sign a contract ahead of time which has all the terms and conditions you’ve discussed. It should including the estimate, the type of roof being installed, the terms of the warranty, and the start and end times.
- Protecting your property – The day of the scheduled roof replacement your contractor should take steps to protect your property. This means covering outdoor HVAC equipment to protect it from debris, covering plants and flowers near the house with netting, and more.
- Installing the roof – Reputable roofing contractors are highly experienced and should provide proof of license and insurance before they begin work. You can expect them to work efficiently and finish the project by the agreed upon scheduled dates.
- Cleaning up – Once the roof has been installed, the contractor should make every effort to clean up after their work. Because a lot of debris may have fallen from the roof (including potentially dangerous nails), a reputable contractor will not only do several sweeps around the exterior of the property to pick up debris, they will use a specialized magnet to pick up any nails, screws, and other sharp, metallic items which may have fallen into your yard.
Preparing for Roof Replacement
There are a few things you will want to do in order to prepare your home for a roof replacement. Although a reputable roof replacement contractor will tell you the steps you should take, it’s good to know what to expect ahead of time. The following are some of the steps you’ll want to take to prepare for a roof replacement in Hampton Falls, NH.
- Make plans ahead of time – If you have pets or children, you’ll want to make sure they’re out of the house during the days your roof will be worked on. You won’t want them running around outside the house since it would be a safety risk for both them and the workers. You also may not want them inside since the roof replacement is going to be very loud and distracting.
- Turn your sprinklers off – You won’t want your sprinkler system going off while roofers are working on your property. Turning it off will keep their equipment dry and keep the work environment safe.
- Warn your neighbors – Be a good neighbor and tell the people in neighboring homes you’re getting your roof replacement and the dates this will occur so they can plan to be away if they don’t want to deal with the noise.
- Bring in outdoor furniture and decor – Bring in potted plants, patio furniture, and more. Not only could they potentially be vulnerable to damage from falling debris, but they may get in the way of the roofers.
- Take down items on the walls – Make sure you take everything down from the walls directly connected to the roof. There’s going to be a lot of hammering and drilling, which could shake the walls and cause items hanging from them to fall.
- Clear driveway – The contractor may want to park their truck close to your home to make access to their equipment easier, so keep your driveway clear for them.
If you’re in need of a shingle roof replacement in Hampton Falls, NH, be sure to contact us at J. Carnes & Son Roofing to schedule an appointment today.